SEATTLE (AP) — A new requirement for carbon monoxide detectors in Washington homes takes effect on Jan. 1.
State law has required the alarms in new construction beginning in 2011. The new law requires the detectors in all existing residences, including hotels, dormitories and institutions.
Owners of single-family homes will be required to have the detectors when their home is sold or when they apply for a remodeling permit.
The state Legislature ordered changes in the building code after widespread power outages from a December 2006 windstorm in the Puget Sound area led to hundreds of people being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Eight deaths were blamed on fumes from people using generators or lighting barbecues inside their homes.