PORTLAND, Ore. - If you're planning on being out and about this weekend, keep in mind that thousands of cyclists and pedestrians will be crossing Portland's bridges.
The Providence Bridge Pedal, a family-friendly bike ride fundraiser for the hospital's Play Smart Youth Heart Screenings program, is coming up Sunday morning. The event features both cycling and walking routes. And of course, there will be plenty of vendors along the way handing out nutritious treats and sports drinks, bicycle shops on hand to perform quick fixes and musical acts doing numbers to keep folks entertained.
Want to join the fun? There's still time to get in on the event. Online registration will remain open through 11:59 p.m. on Saturday. You can also register in person from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Providence Bridge Pedal Health and Wellness Expo at JELD-WEN Field. These registration options will, however, exclude events that have already reached their registration caps.
Drivers can expect delays during the event. Here's a look at the scheduled bridge closures:
- Sellwood - Closed westbound until 9 a.m.
- Ross Island - Closed westbound until 10:30 a.m.
- Marquam - Upper deck closed until 11 a.m.
- Hawthorne - Closed eastbound until 10 a.m.
- Morrison - Open in both directions.
- Burnside - Closed westbound until 11 a.m.
- Steel - Closed eastbound until 11 a.m.
- Broadway - Closed eastbound until 11:30 a.m.
- Fremont - Upper deck closed until 12 p.m.
- St. Johns - Open in both directions
- Complete route information
The event will also require traffic changes on some highways and streets:
- I-5 and I-405: During the temporary Marquam Bridge closure (from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.) motorists approaching the Marquam Bridge from I-5 northbound will be routed to I-405 northbound, across the lower deck of the Fremont Bridge, back to I-5 northbound. The north and southbound ramps from I-5 to southbound I-405 will be closed from 5 a.m. to noon.
- All southbound lanes of I-405 will be closed between I-5 at the north end of the Fremont Bridge to the Marquam Bridge. Motorists traveling to I-405 southbound from I-5 southbound will continue on I-5 southbound across the lower deck of the Marquam Bridge to I-405 northbound. All on- and off-ramps to northbound I-405 will remain open through downtown Portland.
- All southbound lanes of I-5 and all northbound lanes of I-405 will remain open at all times.
- The ramp from NW Couch St. and NW 16th Ave. to I-405 southbound will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- The ramp from SW Taylor St. and SW 13th Ave. to southbound I-405 will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- The ramp from SW Montgomery St. and SW 13th Ave. to southbound I-405 will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- The ramp from SW 5th Ave. to I-405 southbound will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- The ramp from I-405 southbound to U.S. 30 westbound will be closed from 5 a.m. to noon.
- The Greeley Ave. off ramp from I-5 north will be closed from 5 a.m. to noon.
- North Going Street to I-5 south will be closed from 3 a.m. to noon.
- The Broadway on ramp to northbound I-5 will be closed from 3 a.m. to noon.
- Access to I-84 will be open from I-5 southbound as well as from the Morrison Bridge.
- North Cook Street and North Kerby access to the top deck of the Fremont Bridge will be closed from 5 a.m. to noon.
- Starting at 5 a.m., motorists traveling eastbound on U.S. 26 (Sunset Highway) to I-405 southbound will take northbound I-405 across the Fremont Bridge to southbound I-5. This detour will remain until 11 a.m.
- The ramp from U.S. 26 eastbound (Ross Island Bridge) to U.S. 99E southbound will be closed from 5 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- The ramp from SE Woodward St. to Ross Island Bridge westbound will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Oregon Highway 43 (SW Macadam Ave.): Starting at 6 a.m., one northbound lane of SW Macadam Ave. will close from the Sellwood Bridge to the Ross Island Bridge, with some delays accessing areas east of SW Macadam Ave. All lanes on Macadam Ave. are expected to reopen by 9:30 a.m.
- Oregon Highway 99E (McLoughlin Boulevard): Starting at 6 a.m., one southbound lane of McLoughlin Boulevard will close from the Milwaukie Avenue off-ramp to SE Mill St. All lanes on McLoughlin are expected to be open by noon.
- U.S. 30: From 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. the ramp from U.S. 30 eastbound to I-405 southbound will be closed. The ramp being closed is NW Bridge Ave. between the bridge and U.S. 30 eastbound.
- The ramp from U.S. 30 Bypass westbound (St. Johns Bridge) to U.S. 30 eastbound will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
- NW Naito Parkway will be closed in both directions between SW Clay to SW Ash. Northbound NW Naito Parkway will also be closed from NW Davis at Steel Bridge to NW 15th Ave. Southbound traffic on NW Naito will reopen before northbound.
- N Willamette / N Greeley will be closed to southbound traffic from N Richmond to N Interstate.
- N Ivanhoe / N Leavitt / N Charleston / N Princeton will be closed to traffic from N Richmond to N Philadelphia.
- N Interstate will be closed to northbound traffic between N Oregon to N Greeley. Expect delays at Greeley.
- SE Milwaukie will be closed to southbound traffic from SE Schiller to SE Ellis.
- SE Clay will be closed to traffic west of SE Martin Luther King with access for local traffic only to SE Water and OMSI.
Also, the Broadway, Burnside, Hawthorne, Morrison and Steel drawbridges will not open for river traffic between 5 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
MASS TRANSIT IMPACT
Bus and MAX service will be delayed, so be sure to add some extra time to your schedule if you plan on using public transportation while the event is going on.
The following bus lines will have minor detours from 5 a.m. until the event concludes (signs will direct riders to nearby and temporary stops for buses affected by reroutes):
- 8-Jackson Park/NE 15th Ave
- 9-Powell Blvd, 12-Barbur/Sandy Blvd
- 15-Belmont/NW 23rd Ave
- 44-Capitol Highway/Mocks Crest
- 54-Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
- 56-Scholls Ferry Rd
- 70-12th Ave/NE 33rd Ave
- 72-Killingsworth/82nd Ave and 77-Broadway/Halsey
The Bridge Pedal routes cross the MAX tracks in a handful of locations. Riders should expect possible 10 to 15 minute delays as trains are held at times.