High school state wrestling tournament kicks off


By B. Scott Anderson

PORTLAND, Ore. - The 2010 OSAA State Wrestling Championships kicked off Thursday morning at Memorial Coliseum in Portland. Wrestlers from all over Oregon work the entire winter in order to be a state tournament competitor with the hopes of having their hands raised in victory Saturday at the state finals.

For tournament information and all of the brackets and ticket-pricing information, go the OSAA wrestling Web site. For state rankings, go the OWF site.

High school wrestlers from throughout Oregon converge on Memorial Coliseum in Portland every February for their chance at an individual or team title.

Wrestlers make their way to a warm-up area in the back hallways of Memorial Coliseum.

Hundreds of matches are wrestled are wrestled on the 12 mats that are layed out on the floor of Memorial Coliseum during the three-day state tournament.

Refrees and coaches hold hundreds of conversations through the three days of the state tournament.

A Marshall coach instructs Marshall senior Abe Cabatic in his second-round match against Hermiston's David Liebe. Cabatic lost the match 4-3 in overtime 215-pound weight class of the Class 5A tournament.

Hermiston's David Liebe stretches out during a break in his second-round match against Marshall senior Abe Cabatic.

Marshfield coaches can only watch as Glencoe's Cody Stock, the No. 3 seed in the 171-pound weight class of the Class 5A tournament, has his hand raised in victory after Stock's 7-5 win against Marshfield junior Kody Campbell.

Beaverton senior Tyree Barton, wrestling in the 215-pound weight class of the Class 6A tournament, had trouble with his headgear in his opening-round match against South Medford's Cody Albertson.

As Beaverton's Tyree Barton (top right) attempts to escape the clutches of South Medford's Cody Albertson, the referee monitors the match.

Newberg senior Rory Oliver (left) puts on his red ankle bracelet in his opening round match of the 215-pound Class 6A tournament as opponent Marquel Neal of Hood River Valley puts on his green ankle bracelet. The ankle bracelets are used to differentiate wrestelrs during the match.

At the state tournament, volunteers go out on the mat near the end of each round and count down the time to the referee and gently tap them on their backs as time expires. This is done so the referee won't take his eyes off the action and look at the clock, potentially missing a takedown, reversal, escape or near-fall.

A referee listens to a question from a scorekeeper during one of Thursday's matches.

Glencoe's Cody Stock's bloody nose caused several stoppages during his opening round match against Marshfield's Kody Campbell.

After Glencoe's Cody Stock was able to stop his nose from bleeding, he earned a win against Marshfield's Kody Campbell and a spot in the quarterfinals.

This was just one of the many signs announcing the state tournament.

McLoughlin junior Brandon Kralman, wearing a protective mask, earned a fall at the 5:30 mark in his opening-round match of the Class 4A 171-pound tournament.

Wrestlers are the only ones who get animated during the state tournament matches.

Hermiston junior Curtis Berger, the No. 2 seed in the Class 5A 189-pound weight class, has his hand raised in victory after defeating Corvallis senior Josh Woods by fall at 1:23 in Berger's second-round match.

Redmond senior Nathan herber takes time to alleviate a bloody nose in his 14-6 first-round win against Lincoln's Louie Colasurdo.

A referee patiently waits to officiate the next match.