PORTLAND, Ore. - With the economy tanking, more and more people are looking for deals at thrift shops, like Goodwill.
Business is booming at Goodwill stores and nabbing the best bargains may not always be easy.
But we've got the inside scoop on the best times to shop and the best stores to find some real bargains.
Dale Emanuel does press relations for Goodwill and she let us in on some of the best bargain shopping secrets.
Timing is Everything
Best time of year to shop
- December - everyone is looking for a tax write-off and it is also the time of year that Goodwill gets some of its most valuable donations.
- Just after Labor Day - when a high volume of donations come in.
- When summer turns to fall - another time of year when a high volume of donations come in.
Best days of the week to shop
- Goodwill gets most of its donations on the weekends, which means the best days to shop are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday - before all the merchandise has been picked over.
Hit the Right Store
If you are looking for something in particular, one store may be better than another:
- FINE JEWELRY - Forest Grove Store, 2903 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, OR 97116
- APPAREL - Broadway Store,1231 NE Broadway, Portland, OR, 97232
- BOOKS - The Portland Superstore, 1943 SE 6th Ave, Portland, OR, 97214
- APPAREL - Bend Store, 61315 S. Hwy 97, Bend, OR 97702
- SHOES - Hillsboro Store, 966 S.E. Oak Street, Hillsboro, OR 97123
- FURNITURE - San Rafael Store, 1640 NE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR 97230
- BOOKS - Salem Store, 3535 Lancaster Drive NE, Salem, OR 97305
- DESIGNER APPAREL - Goodwill on Tenth, 838 SW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- FURNITURE - Fisher’s Landing Store, 1200 SE 162nd Ave., Vancouver, WA 98683
- LINEN - McMinnville Store, 1371 NE Hwy 99 W, McMinnville, OR 97128
You can also go to www.meetgoodwill.org for Goodwill store phone numbers and ask your neighborhood Goodwill manager what is the hottest seller in your area store.