Protecting your child from ID theft

Here is information to help protect your child from identity theft:

FTC on Child ID Theft: How to Protect Yourself, How to Spot It, What to Do

Other links:

Information from the Social Security Administration about checking to see if someone is using your child’s Social Security Number for employment:

"A parent of a minor child may verify that a child’s Social Security Number (SSN) is being used for employment purposes only if we have established an earnings record using the child’s SSN. The parent must do so in person and provide proof of their identity and their relationship to the child, to ensure that we are disclosing the requested information to the appropriate person.

Acceptable identification:

Child: While you can use a birth certificate to prove age or citizenship, you cannot use it as proof of identity. Social Security needs evidence that shows the child continues to exist beyond the date of birth.

We can accept only certain documents as proof of your child’s identity. An acceptable document must show your child’s name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. Your child must be present unless the picture ID also shows your child's biographical information (i.e., age, date of birth, or parents’ names). We generally can accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify the child (such as the child’s name and age, date of birth or parents’ names). We prefer to see the child’s U.S. passport. If that document is not available, we may accept the child’s:

  •  Adoption decree;
  • Doctor, clinic or hospital record;
  • Religious record (e.g., baptismal record);
  • Daycare center or school record; or
  • School identification card.

Parent: We also must see proof of your identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver identification card; or
  • U.S. passport."

Some further info from the SSA: