Across the NFL, while many superstars are doing their thing, a wide range of obscure players are having a major impact.
Former Ducks quarterback Chris Miller’s first season coaching West Linn High School’s football team has been a rousing success as the team tries to pull off a huge playoff upset Friday night.
Last week they rallied from 23 points down to defeat Charlotte, and then Monday night the Portland Trail Blazers erased a 16-point, third-quarter deficit to beat the New Orleans Pelicans 102-93.
The Portland Trail Blazers have proven their mettle with a couple of big comebacks this season. Damian Lillard scored 24 points, including a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 1:14 left, to help Portland win its fifth straight game — the longest current streak in the NBA.
Damian Lillard had 28 points and 10 assists to lead the Blazers to a 97-87 victory over the Brooklyn Nets on Saturday night, despite the absences of LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum.
Oregon remained in second place in the AP Poll after Alabama handed the formerly top-ranked Mississippi State its first loss on Saturday. The Tide took over the top spot, jumping from fifth place.
Marcus Mariota watched from the sideline as Oregon ran out the clock after dominating Stanford. Amid the celebration, the mood suddenly turned serious.
Ahead of the 2014 college football season, The Associated Press asked its panel of Top 25 voters, who are known for ranking the nation's top teams each week, to weigh in on which school had the best mascot. The Duck came in fifth.
So much for soaking in the win. Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle wasn't pleased with his team's performance after an 86-62 win over Corban on Tuesday night.
Michael Doctor returned an interception 35 yards for a touchdown with 1:38 left to seal the Beavers' 35-27 upset win over the Sun Devils on Saturday night.
Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion passed for 328 yards and one touchdown and rushed for another score Saturday to pace the Beavers to a 29-14 victory over Portland State.
The CEO of the company that provides food and catering at Timbers and Mariners games and was caught on camera abusing a dog has resigned, the company announced Tuesday.
Robbie Keane scored twice to help the Los Angeles Galaxy beat the Portland Timbers 3-1 on Saturday.
Diego Valeri broke a tie in the 82nd minute and the Portland Timbers held off Montreal 3-2 on Sunday night to extend the Impact's losing streak to five games.
Injuries and a scuffle overshadowed another strong effort by Portland's Damian Lillard.
The tax haven of Bermuda has been picked over San Diego to host the 2017 America's Cup, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Thursday.
FIFA will further review the 2018 and 2022 World Cup corruption investigation, putting the status of hosts Russia and Qatar back in question.
Marshawn Lynch is "all about that action" that speaks louder than words. And he showed it recently when a fan lost his wallet at a gas station.
Adrian Peterson's future with the Minnesota Vikings dimmed further Tuesday, with the NFL suspending the star running back without pay for at least the rest of the season.
Perhaps if Lindsey Vonn had a big cushy air bag to fall on when she tore two ligaments in her right knee she wouldn't have missed the Sochi Olympics.
TrackTown U.S.A.'s bid to host the 2019 athletics world championships was beat out by Doha, who won a secret IAAF vote Tuesday.
The Marlins are no longer pinching pennies, and Giancarlo Stanton won't be, either.
No fewer than five games pit teams with solid Super Bowl aspirations, including matchups of division leaders New England and Indianapolis, Detroit and Arizona.
This Saturday, Pacific University will be playing what might be the biggest sporting event in their school's history. The Boxers play at Linfield with a Northwest Conference championship on the line.
After the Trail Blazers clawed back from a 23-point deficit and withstood a video review of the final shot, guard Wesley Matthews enjoyed a laugh in the locker room.
Dynamic receivers are making their mark this season - and not just for their creative (some might say over-the-top) celebrations. The passers get the pub much of the time, so here's some love for the guys grabbing those throws.
When the New York Yankees take the field against Toronto for their opener on April 6, it will be 556 days since Alex Rodriguez last played in a major league game.
The Santa Clara County district attorney's office declined to file charges against San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald in a domestic violence investigation stemming from his Aug. 31 arrest.
Joe Walker returned Kaelin Clay's careless goal line fumble 100 yards for a touchdown, Marcus Mariota threw three touchdown passes and ran for another score and No. 5 Oregon turned back No. 20 Utah 51-27 on Saturday night.
AP Headlines Testentry-parentNode05:
- "content" value is Column: NFL should realign after NFC South debacle Associated Press - 21 November 2014 17:23-05:00 News Topics: Sports, NFL Playoffs, NFL football, Events, Professional football, Football People, Places and Companies: Matt Ryan, Lovie Smith, Atlanta, Florida, Tampa, San Diego, New York Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is ATLANTA (AP) — The Atlanta Falcons won't apologize for somehow being in first place with a losing record.
- "title" value is Column: NFL should realign after NFC South debacle
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-11-21T12:23:00-05:00
- "content" value is Bills back on practice field at Lions' facility Associated Press - 21 November 2014 22:49-05:00 News Topics: Sports, NFL football, Winter weather, Professional football, Football, Weather, General news People, Places and Companies: Scott Chandler, Doug Marrone, Jim Schwartz, Fred Jackson, Brett Favre, Detroit, Buffalo, New York Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) — After days of cabin fever, the Buffalo Bills were finally able to practice.
- "title" value is Bills back on practice field at Lions' facility
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-11-21T17:49:00-05:00
- "content" value is Sparano savors 1st win with Raiders Associated Press - 21 November 2014 18:52-05:00 News Topics: Sports, Sports transactions, NFL football, Sports business, Professional football, Football People, Places and Companies: Tony Sparano, Donald Penn, Dennis Allen, Latavius Murray, Derek Carr, James Jones, Sio Moore, Khalil Mack, Justin Tuck, Marcel Reece, Gabe Jackson, T.J. Carrie, Oakland, California, Kansas City Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — Tony Sparano gathered the Oakland Raiders in a victorious locker room and praised them for sticking together through a 16-game losing streak.
- "title" value is Sparano savors 1st win with Raiders
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-11-21T13:52:00-05:00
- "content" value is Stanford routs rival Cal 38-17 in 117th Big Game Associated Press - 23 November 2014 00:15-05:00 News Topics: Sports, College football, NFL football, College sports, Football, Professional football People, Places and Companies: David Shaw, Remound Wright, Blake Martinez, Jared Goff, Luke Rubenzer, Sonny Dykes, Ty Montgomery, Michael Lowe, Austin Hooper, Kevin Hogan, Daniel Lasco, California Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) — Stanford players paraded around the field with the Axe, sprinted into the tunnel and shouted so loud outside the visiting locker room at Memorial Stadium that they drowned out coach David Shaw's news conference in the next room.
- "title" value is Stanford routs rival Cal 38-17 in 117th Big Game
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-11-22T19:15:00-05:00
- "content" value is Who are these guys helping NFL teams? Associated Press - 22 November 2014 00:02-05:00 News Topics: Sports, Athlete injuries, NFL football, Football, Athlete health, Professional football People, Places and Companies: J.J. Watt, Peyton Manning, Justin Forsett, Chris Borland, Connor Barwin, Mike Adams, Brandon Marshall, Mohamed Sanu, Chip Kelly, Justin Houston, DeMeco Ryans, Cam Newton, Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Dan Skuta, Justin Smith Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is J.J. Watt tears it up on defense.
- "title" value is Who are these guys helping NFL teams?
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-11-21T19:02:00-05:00