The NCAA agreed Tuesday to settle a class-action head-injury lawsuit by creating a $70 million fund to diagnose thousands of current and former college athletes to determine if they suffered brain trauma playing football, hockey, soccer and other contact sports.
A judge has ruled against Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and cleared the way for the $2 billion sale of the team to ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
ESPN has suspended outspoken sportscaster Stephen A. Smith for a week because of his comments about domestic abuse suggesting women should make sure that they don't do anything to provoke an attack.
Click "play" on the video for Craig's interview with Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard.
With no picks in this year's NBA draft, the Portland Trail Blazers still made news in offering All-Star forward LaMarcus Aldridge a maximum contract extension.
Portland's Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge made the All-NBA third team.
An investigation into an alleged sexual assault by two Providence College basketball players, including former UO basketball player, Brandon Austin, has concluded with no charges, the Rhode Island attorney general's office said Wednesday.
Brandon Austin was a bench player for the men's basketball team. Earlier this year, a woman accused Austin and two teammates of raping her during a party. None of the men were charged.
Three Ducks basketball players accused of sexually assaulting a woman at an off campus party have been suspended from the University of Oregon.
Grant Palmer singled home the go-ahead run in the sixth inning and UC Irvine went on to upset No. 1 national seed Oregon State 4-2 on Monday night to win the NCAA Corvallis regional.
Oregon State has fired Craig Robinson after six seasons without making the NCAA tournament.
Oregon beat Oregon State 88-74 in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas.
Diego Valeri broke a tie in the 82nd minute and the Portland Timbers held off Montreal 3-2 on Sunday night to extend the Impact's losing streak to five games.
Maximiliano Urruti and Diego Valeri each scored in the second half to give Portland a 2-1 win over visiting Colorado on Friday night.
The Portland Timbers advanced to the quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the second consecutive year with a 3-1 win against Sporting Kansas City before 11,138 fans at Sporting Park on Tuesday night.
Tim Howard's next super-human feat: doubling as an English Premier League goalkeeper and TV announcer.
Portland Thorns FC were unable to mount a second-half comeback, conceding three goals over the final 45 minutes in a 5-0 loss against Seattle Reign FC at Moda Health Pitch at Memorial Stadium in front of 5,597 fans on Sunday afternoon.
Britain's Deputy Prime Minister wants Russia stripped of the right to host the 2018 World Cup to punish President Vladimir Putin for "belligerent behavior" in the Ukraine crisis.
Former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno told his son the day after his firing that he hadn't informed the coaching staff about allegations Jerry Sandusky may be a child molester because he was unsure whether they were true, Jay Paterno writes in a new book.
The Seahawks finished last year atop the NFL. And as far as the Associated Press' NFL poll is concerned, they will begin the 2015 season as the team to beat.
Not that it should come as a surprise, but Seattle is still crazy about its Super Bowl champion Seahawks.
Like reading a blitz, Johnny Manziel knew the questions about his off-field wildness were coming. So the Browns quarterback struck first.
Portland Thorns FC forward Christine Sinclair scored the first hat-trick in club history and the fourth in National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) history, as Portland tallied four unanswered goals in a 6-3 victory against the Boston Breakers in front of 14,383 fans at Providence Park on Sunday afternoon.
Staked to a six-shot lead going into the final round, Rory McIlroy turned back every challenge. He made two key birdies around the turn, and delivered a majestic drive at just the right moment to close with a 1-under 71 and complete his wire-to-wire victory.
A lawyer for the man offering to buy the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion told a judge Friday that Donald Sterling's stalling tactics are threatening to doom the sale by pushing it past a contractual deadline.
St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright took the blame on Friday for the flap that ensued after he said he served up pitches to Derek Jeter during the All-Star game.
Australia's Hamilton Island Yacht Club has withdrawn as the Challenger of Record in the America's Cup, perhaps the first public sign of dissatisfaction with the direction sailing's marquee regatta is heading.
Aaron Ahlstrom, a local teenager, is fighting a life-threatening illness, but this week, he's all smiles. That’s because of Make-A-Wish Oregon, who is making sure this athlete’s baseball wishes come true.
Five former NFL players, including six-time Pro Bowl defensive end Neil Smith, are suing the union for not providing accurate information about the risk of head injuries.
Thorns FC forward Jessica McDonald scored the quickest goal in National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) history, but Portland and the Chicago Red Stars drew for a third consecutive match as the two teams tied 1-1 in front of 2,014 fans at Benedictine Sports Complex in Lisle, Ill., on Thursday night.
AP Headlines Testentry-parentNode05:
- "content" value is Trump says his Buffalo Bills bid unlikely to win Associated Press - 29 July 2014 16:30-04:00 News Topics: Business, General news, Sports, Sports team and league operation, Sports team ownership changes, NFL football, Rock music, Sports industry, Media and entertainment industry, Industries, Sports business, Professional football, Football, Music, Entertainment, Arts and entertainment People, Places and Companies: Donald Trump, Ralph Wilson, Thomas Golisano, Jon Bon Jovi, Larry Tanenbaum, New York, Buffalo, Toronto Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Donald Trump says he is unlikely to be the next owner of the Buffalo Bills because he's "not going to do something totally stupid" to make the team his.
- "title" value is Trump says his Buffalo Bills bid unlikely to win
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-07-29T12:30:00-04:00
- "content" value is Sam factor prepares Rams for sensitivity session Associated Press - 29 July 2014 20:17-04:00 News Topics: Sports, Gays and lesbians, NFL football, Professional football, Football, Celebrity causes, Men's sports, Celebrity, Entertainment, Arts and entertainment People, Places and Companies: Michael Sam, James Laurinaitis, Jeff Fisher, Chris Long, E.J. Gaines, Keith Sweat, St. Louis, Missouri Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is ST. LOUIS (AP) — To guard against another bullying scandal, NFL teams are holding sensitivity sessions during training camp.
- "title" value is Sam factor prepares Rams for sensitivity session
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-07-29T16:17:00-04:00
- "content" value is AP source: Gordon hires attorney, plans defense Associated Press - 29 July 2014 20:09-04:00 News Topics: Sports, Sports transactions, Men's sports, NFL football, Sports business, Professional football, Football People, Places and Companies: Josh Gordon, Richard M. Sherman, Richard Sherman, Jordan Cameron, Roger Goodell, Ray Rice, Ohio, Cleveland Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Josh Gordon has a new, high-profile teammate to help him fight the NFL.
- "title" value is AP source: Gordon hires attorney, plans defense
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-07-29T16:09:00-04:00
- "content" value is Ray Guy's long wait for Hall of Fame comes to end Associated Press - 30 July 2014 08:57-04:00 News Topics: Sports, Professional football, NFL football, Football People, Places and Companies: Al Davis Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Ray Guy built a Hall of Fame career of making other people wait.
- "title" value is Ray Guy's long wait for Hall of Fame comes to end
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-07-30T04:57:00-04:00
- "content" value is Peterson says he's got 5-year, $70 million deal Associated Press - 30 July 2014 01:55-04:00 News Topics: Sports, Athlete contracts, Athlete compensation, NFL football, Sports transactions, Sports business, Professional football, Football People, Places and Companies: Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Richard M. Sherman, Richard Sherman, Arizona Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- "summary" value is PHOENIX (AP) — Cornerback Patrick Peterson says he has reached agreement on a five-year, $70 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals, with $48 million guaranteed.
- "title" value is Peterson says he's got 5-year, $70 million deal
- "link" value is
- "published" value is 2014-07-29T21:55:00-04:00